Self-introduction and identity verification
Briefly introduce the contents of the rules and provide a copy if no operation instructions in the factory.
Understand the basic information of the factory, such as the contact person, address, telephone number, number of employees, product type and bynames etc.
Ensure that the factory understands the purpose of Factory Audit.
Review the process of Factory Audit
Briefly introduce the process of Factory Audit
Obtain the layout of the plant to inspect all areas within the plant
Make sure all documents required for Factory Audit are available at site
Request the management to arrange a room for interviews
Inquiry the management personnel.
Ask for a list of all chemicals used in the factory
Factory Inspection Tour
- Health and safety inspection: Make sure the working environment is conformed with the requirements of the local laws and rules; Make sure the factory complies with all environmental laws and regulations
- Fire Safety
- Mechanic safety
- Chemical storage
- First aid
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
3. Ear plugs
- Environmental protection
1. U. S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
2. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
3. Air Quality Management District (AQMD)
4. Chemical exposure limits
5. Hazardous wastes
6. Other potential hazards (air quality, waste water treatment, pollution, recycling)
- Select workers for interviews
- Identify suspected child labors
- Raise questions about suspicious circumstances
1. Workers do not work or speed up their work
2. Vehicles in and out of the factory
- Check the production process: whether there is a subcontract
- Objective: to ensure the legality of the factory operation; and make sure that the factory complies with the requirements of local laws and regulations.
- List of documents
1. Work cards or attendance records (in past twelve months)
2. Payroll (in past twelve months)
3. Personnel register and personal file of employees
4. Labor contracts
5. Social insurance receipts, registers and certification documents, etc.
6. Business license
7. Fire inspection report or certificate of conformity
8. Fire drill record, emergency evacuation plan and work-related injury record, etc.
9. Environmental protection certificates
10. Factory regulations or employee handbook
11. Government regulations on local minimum wages
12. Equipment safety license (such as the elevator license, Kitchen hygiene license, etc.)
13. Work license for special operations (such as lift workers, electricians, cooks etc.)
14. Approval for overtime extension of the local labor authority
15. Physical examination records and registration records of minor workers at the labor authority
16. Factory buildinglayout
Purpose of the interview
- To understand the actual operation of the factoryfrom worker.
- To access the information which can’t be obtained from other channels and confirm the consistency of the information.
- To have a deeper understanding of abnormal areas.
Interview questionnaire (EIQ)
Number of workers for interview = 25% of total workers, but not more than 25 staff.
Increase the number of interviewees
- Once found, any violation should be thoroughly understood, such as family work and false books.
- Any discrepancy between workers' identity documents and their actual answers.
- 50% of workers shall be selected in the factory inspection process
- Young workers
- Select from all departments
- If possible, workers shall be selected at equal proportion of gender and nation
- Workers engaged in dangerous job
- 50% of workers shall be selected according to the payroll, work cards and documents
- Overtime worker
- Low-wage workers
- Young workers
- Old worker
- The interview shall be conducted in the absence of the management.
- The interview shall be conducted in one-to-one manner, and workers shall not be grouped.
- All workers involved in the interview must be informed that all contents shall be kept confidential.
- The name of workers who reflect problems shall not be included into the report
- Be friendly – to relax workers and open their hearts.
- Take EIQ as a guide, but not limited to it.
- Raise different questions against workers in different countries. For example, the focus shall be child labors in Honduras,
pregnancy in Mexico, overtime work in China, and weather havethe place for prayers in Turkey.
- Inform management the evaluation has been completed
- Return all the documents
- Thank them for their support and cooperation
- Explain problems, answer the factory’s questions and prepare Corrective Action Plan Acknowledgment Report (CAPAR).
- Provide the best operational guidelines to help the factory meet the standards.